Saturday, April 9, 2011

Letting Go

I love the slogan, “Let go and Let God.” This is a slogan that has saved my butt a number of times. I so often believed that I needed to handle something when really I needed to surrender it instead. I have a friend that says, “instead of trying harder, let go harder.”

But what does letting go look like in terms of FA? For me, it has meant letting go of old ways of thinking while embracing a completely new paradigm. For instance, I have had to let go of:

  • Food rules. Today, I try to trust my body rather than a predetermined set of rules, including how much I should eat, when I should eat, and ideas of good food and bad food.
  • Trying to change my outsides so my insides feel better. This includes the desire to be smaller. I have finally learned that changing my body will not truly change my feelings, though I might fake it for awhile. I still fight that desire to be smaller some days, but today I know it hides an illusion, not reality.
  • What people think of me. Some people will hate me on sight, for whatever reason. That has nothing to do with me, but rather with their own issues and prejudices. Some people may judge me as lacking or sick because of my body size. Again, their issue and not my own.

These are just a few of things I’ve learned to let go of and hand over to my Higher Power. I still have to do my part; I still have to take what actions I can. However, I can leave the results up to a Power that knows better than me.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quick note: I'm not the same anonymous as above.
    Thank you for this. As a fat Christian, it's hard to find a spiritual outlet that aligns with my conservative views and spiritual needs. I will try to come here more often!

    ReplyDelete