Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Steps

So far, I’ve been covering a Step a month (see One, Two, and Three here). I plan on continuing to do that. However, I’ve realized that I never actually talked about the Steps in general. Because I lead Step workgroups, I have worked through this process many times. Each time I do, I find myself freer, happier and more open to life; I also find myself with less fear and resentment. Working the Steps can be an uncomfortable process, but one that is well worth moving through.

This last time I worked the Steps, I worked them from an FA perspective. Awesome, awesome stuff, I tell you. That process definitely helped me work through some old resentments while increasing my love for my body and myself.

So, how do you work the Steps from an FA point of view? Each month, I’m making suggestions for how I tend to work them, but there are actually many, many ways to work the Steps. The most common way comes out of the Big Book of AA. Al-Anon has a great guide called Paths to Recovery. I’ve never worked a bad Step, though I have gotten more growth out of some ways than others. I think intention is the key: the intention to “uncover, discover, and discard” all that nasty old stuff that has held us back.

I am not sure if any of you do actually want to work the Steps, but I encourage you to do so if you have the desire. One warning, it’s best to work the Steps with someone. Each Step has the potential to bring up uncomfortable feelings, bad memories and other issues.(There is an old saying, "the only way out is through," that I've found to be true.) Ideally, find someone who has worked the Steps before and is willing to share their experience, strength and hope. Finding someone who can handle the FA perspective might be tricky, but here are some options:

  • They don’t actually have to be fat accepting, just open minded. I talk about FA stuff with my AA/Al-Anon sponsor. Even though she still buys into societal beliefs about weight loss, she is capable of putting those beliefs aside when she works with me.
  • Sometimes, priests or ministers (especially Unity ministers) are versed in the Steps. However, as we well know, many spiritual people buy into the weight loss culture.
  • I’ve also wondered if there might be some of you who have been in OA and become disillusioned with it. If you worked the Steps in OA, you might be able to guide someone else through the Steps from the FA perspective without having worked through them yourself. Ideally, though, we want to do it ourselves before we guide others.
  • If you cannot find someone to work with you locally, you can always work with me by email (spirit_of_fa at gmx dot com). Feel free to write me about any of this stuff, in fact.

Anyway, the Steps have been a powerful healing tool for me. If you HP leads you in that direction, I encourage you to try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment